How Long To Common Law In Ontario

Our family lawyers often get asked how long it takes to be considered Common Law In Ontario. Most people hear that it is either two or three years of living together before they have the same legal status as a married couple. Most people think that if they have a child while living together, they are automatically considered common law. The truth is that these are just general guidelines. More important than how long you have been living together is how you have been living together.

If you are not legally married, but you act like a married couple a family judge might deem you to be common law. The proper term for people that are common law is “spouses.”

Read more: Independent Legal Advice Ontario

A cohabitation agreement is a contract between two parties that are living together in a relationship. Common law does not cover people who are friends who live together. It often covers how expenses are going to be covered. It also covers details surrounding bank accounts and debts.

If you have questions about Common Law In Ontario, please call or text our family law firm.

Call: 844-466-6529

Text: 647-360-6331

Stay in the loop with recent family law judgments, like us on Facebook!

Common Law In Ontario

Common Law In Ontario

Some people don’t believe in marriage but they have been living together for a while, and they want to purchase property together.

The Divorce Act governs divorces in Canada. With common law, the rules can be different from province to province. It is important to speak to a lawyer in the province where you are located if you want a cohabitation agreement.

An example of a provincial difference is that common law is called “adult interdependent partners” in Alberta. People are considered common law after living together for three years or if they have a child while living together.

In places like Halifax, spouses must live together for two years before they are entitled to spousal support. They are not able to get a percentage of property or vehicles. If they want marriage rights, they must register as a “domestic partnership.”

There is one province in Canada that does not recognize common law, and that’s Quebec.

If you are common law and you want a separation agreement, it is possible to hire a lawyer outside of the province.

The guideline in Ontario is that the couple must have been living together for three years or one year with a child.

Cohabitation agreements are becoming more popular. The topic was recently discussed on Dr. Phil. Here are the key points from the video that should be included in the cohabitation agreement.

  • How much time one person can stay in the house if there is a breakup
  • Negotiating a modest lump sum payment if there is a breakup
  • Details about what happens if the spouse on title for the property dies. Does the other common law partner get the property? Does the spouse on title have a will?