British Columbia Separation

Our Toronto law firm just expanded to BC with our first office in Duncan BC. Our Vancouver Island law firm offers British Columbia separation legal advice.

We now have family lawyers in:

  • Toronto, Ontario
  • Ottawa, Ontario
  • Duncan, BC

Our CEO Alistair Vigier is from BC so he is excited to be setting up an office to help people in British Columbia with their divorce issues.

Our law office in Duncan BC also assists people in Port Alberni, Nanaimo and Tofino with their family law disputes.

Common Questions Our Family Lawyers Get Asked

British Columbia Separation
British Columbia Separation

Q: How do I become a guardian of a child?

A: A parent who never lived with a child is not a guardian unless they can prove:

  1. An agreement existed saying you were a guardian
  2. There were intensions for there to be more than two individuals as the child’s parents and guardians
  3. You regularly cared for the child

Q: Do I need to go to court to become a guardian of a child?

A: Yes, the only way is to get a court order. Above all, the courts want to see that the plan takes the child’s best interests into heart.

Read more: Family Law Act for Best Interests of Child

The above article and video were created for Ontario, but many of the same principles apply to British Columbia.


Q: Can you provide a list of the responsibilities that a parent has?

A: Below is a list of some of the parental responsibilities:

  1. Receiving information about a child’s education or health
  2. Protecting a child’s legal and financial situation
  3. Making decisions about who a child spends time with
  4. Being able to supervise a child
  5. Getting ID for a child (passport, driver’s license, health card…etc)
  6. Making decisions about religion or language


Q: Can I get child support and spousal support?

A: Only if your ex-spouse can afford it. The family courts have ruled that child support is more important than spousal support. Some parents use child support money to support their own lifestyle. We don’t recommend that as we think it may be considered unethical.


Q: How is child support calculated?

A: There are three things that the family judges often use to determine child support payments.

  1. How much both parents are earning. Not just what the parent is currently earning, but what they can earn given the parents education and experience.
  2. What is in the best interests of the child. The child should be affected as little as possible by the separation.
  3. The judge will not grant a divorce until there is a strong arrangement in place for the care of the child. Parents always come second in the courts to children.

Family Law Firm

You can reach our family lawyer by filling out your request via the live chat box in the lower right of the screen. You can also call our family law firm toll free at 1-844-466-6529 or by emailing info (at)

If you have a serious family law issue, it’s better to book a free consultation with an experienced divorce lawyer. Examples of serious family law matters are: spousal support, child support, child custody, and division of assets. You do not want to make a mistake and never get to see your child again. You also don’t want to end up having to pay your spouse hundreds of thousands of dollars because you didn’t hire the right divorce lawyer. Most noteworthy is that you don’t want to spend time going back and forward between lawyers with paperwork. That is the best way to create a massive legal bill. Hire a divorce lawyer to do it right the first time.

Divorce Lawyer

British Columbia Separation


Vancouver Island law firm is at 103-255 Ingram Street, Duncan, V9L 1P3

Our family lawyer and her legal team can assist with the following areas of family law:

  • Spousal Support
  • Cohabitation Agreement
  • Family Mediation
  • Divorce Mediation
  • Separation Agreement
  • Marriage Agreement
  • Custody Battle
  • Child Support

British Columbia Separation Help Offices:

  • Duncan BC (our law firm)
  • Cowichan Bay
  • Salt Spring Island
  • Nanaimo
  • Shawinigan Hill

We also have some clients from Victoria, BC that want to deal with a divorce lawyer over the phone or by email.

Need help with a British Columbia Separation? Book an appointment with a Divorce Lawyer- Call 1-844-466-6529

Please wait...

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up for emails to get updates on Canadian law and tips for resolving your legal issues. We love to help by providing free helpful content!