Our affordable lawyers are available during COVID-19 to file documents and work on your legal needs. The courts are also now available again.

Port Coquitlam Lawyer

Port Coquitlam Lawyer
If you are looking for an affordable Port Coquitlam lawyer, please fill out the form on this page. All of our lawyers offer free 15-minute phone consultations. Sometimes you can meet them in person if needed for the consultation.
In BC, you have things you must do as a parent. You do not have the option of deciding if you are going to support a child or not. You can either make the right decisions for your child, or a judge will. Further, some examples of decisions you must make are:
  • Will your child be religious? Which religion?
  • Which property will the child live in?
  • Where will they go to school? Will they learn another language?
  • Which sports will they plan?

Non-Port Coquitlam Lawyer Locations

You need to be able to make decisions and support your child (emotionally and financially.) On the other side of it, you have a right to see your children. Sometimes if you are a danger to the child (drugs or live in an unsafe place) a judge might not let you see the child. But that is rare as there will need to be a lot of serious evidence against you.

Remember that a judge will care about what is in the best interest of the child, not in your best interest. Further, the judge will care more about your child than your ex-spouse.

The law In Port Coquitlam

You will need to give two months’ notice to the other parent if you want to move away with a child. If the parent agrees, then there should be problems. But remember to get a lawyer to write out an agreement so you have it in writing.


If the other spouse doesn’t agree, then things get expensive and ugly. Also, you will need to hire a lawyer to speak to a judge for you. Child custody battles are often full of emotion. Give plenty of time (more than 2-months) before the move to work out the disagreement. Keep in mind court battles can go on for years.
If you are looking for a legal aid lawyer, we suggest speaking to duty counsel at the courthouse.

Marriage Agreement

In conclusion, reach out to us if you need a Port Coquitlam lawyer. There are British Columbia family lawyers available who will work hard to represent you. All the lawyers are members of the Canadian Bar Association.

Port Coquitlam Lawyers can provide these legal services:

  • Dealing with family authorities
  • Filing application to the court for family law
  • Going through disclosure
  • Family law trials
  • Responding to applications filed against you in court
  • Self-represented coaching
  • Court applications and motions
  • Adoption


Application Provincial Court BCial Court BC

In conclusion, if you want to learn more about family law, see our videos.

Click here to watch videos about family law.

Download Family Law Ebook

Port Coquitlam Lawyer FAQ

Do I need a family lawyer?

It will depend on your situation. The best thing for you to do is to get a free consultation with a lawyer. You can then learn about the process and the costs.

Does legal aid help with custody cases?

Legal aid does cover family law cases if you are low income. Keep in mind that many clients on legal aid do not get the same attention as regular clients. Many legal aid lawyers have hundreds of clients at the same time!

Is family law provincial or federal?

It’s actually both. That is what makes it so confusing. Every province has their own provincial laws. But the Divorce Act also applies (and is federal.) You have to learn at least two Acts for family law.

What questions should I ask family lawyer?

It’s better to tell the lawyer about your case and answer the lawyers questions. Let the lawyer determine what is important in your case. They know what the courts will want to see.

At what age can a child decide where they want to live?

Each province has their own laws. There can be other complications as well if the child has a handicap. Common ages are 18 or 19 years old.

What are my legal rights in a divorce?

You have a lot. There is a provincial Act and a federal Act that determines your rights and obligations You should definately speak to a lawyer about this question.